Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Irregular posts FTW? Maybe...

Wow, I haven't made a post for a few weeks now. I kept putting it off, "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I'll write once something interesting happens." Bleh. I'm such a procrastinator. I know.

So, anything of interest to me in the news lately: If you know me, I've been following the news about the Detroit 3 Bailout quite avidly. Well, one speck of news made me really re-think about it. One of the stipulations that may come to pass for them to get bailout money is a merger between GM and Chrysler. That would reduce costs of almost $8-10 billion a year. However, you would only need one CEO for at that point. CEO of Chrysler, Robert Nardelli, said that he'd be willing to lose his job if it meant that his company would continue to exist and some people who've been with the company for 80 years. Now, that's touching. Although, I still don't quite support the bailout. Guess who does instead? Toyota. That's right. Toyota said they support the bailout because it supports our economy. Not to mention that, the Big 3 also hold contracts with large suppliers. Suppliers who also hold contracts with Toyota. And if the Big 3 go out of business, a few of the suppliers said they'll have to close up shop, too. Therefore, Toyota is rooting for the other team so that they still have a supply depot. Another reason would be, if the Big 3 went low enough and got taken over by another foreign car company and began releasing low-cost cars, that's more competition to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, who all claim the US Market as their biggest playground. Wow, talk about the holidays bringing weird groups together.

The South Yorkshire police added a Mitsubishi Evo Lancer X to their Road Crime Unit. It's joining already an Evo VIII and an Evo IX. Freakin awesome. It's also getting a "Automatic Number Plate Recognition system, so it'll check up on a cars license plate and anything fishy about it. It'd be awesome to watch the three Evo's deployed at once, no escape!

Holy crap. Nvidia's GeForce GTX 295. Insane. Literally two GTX 260s bolted together. Talk about owning. It alone needs 289W of power, so it may be time for some of you hardcore gamers to go upgrade your old janky 400w power supplies.

If you're a random skygazer like myself, you would have known that on December 12th, you would have been able to catch a glimpse of the biggest full moon in the last 15 years. I was driving home when my phone chimed an email telling me about it. Right when I got home, I got out of my car and looked up at the sky for a few minutes. It truly was awe inspiring.

Just slightly small, Please add the BMW M5 as one of my dream cars to own. Man, the list continues to grow. Haha.

If you're a Windows junky (or linux, at that), you may stop reading this post and have a nice day. For you Mac heads, you must have heard by now that this January's Macworld will be Apple's last. They will be pulling out of the show for good. As much as this was big news, there was bigger to follow right afterwards. Steve Jobs himself will not be present at the show this year. HUGE. Cause he's usually there (albeit, rocking his turtleneck) and making an announcement of some sort. But alas, he won't be present. It's kinda crazy. People are thinking it's because Apple doesn't have any major product announcement's this year. Or that it's one of Steve Jobs moves to transition himself away from the company so that he can step down. Because, seriously, when you think Apple, you think Steve Jobs. I guess people will eventually have to get used to Apple as just a company.

Anyway, those were some stories of note for me the last couple of weeks. Oh yes, I'm on winter break right now, too. So, I'm taking it in full stride by sleeping in late everyday and trying to leave the house and hanging out with friends as much as I can. Until next time, I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and stay warm.

No comments: